Staff morale is important for all businesses, but perhaps more so with medical practices. Staff morale leads to staff retention and reliability. Doctors need to be able to rely on the staff to get things done so that they can tend to their patients effectively. Patients rely on the staff to be helpful and courteous in a time when they may feel vulnerable. Employees that are happy will come in on time and will be more willing to go above and beyond for doctors and patients when needed.
Here are five ways you can boost morale at your practice:
- Give praise.This is possibly the simplest and most cost effective way to boost morale in your office. When praise is due, give it freely. Have your praise and “thank-yous” to the staff outnumber your criticisms. After a good week, take a moment to stand in front of your staff and patients in the waiting room to thank them for a great week.
- Silly Office Contest.Another low-cost way to boost morale and fun in the office is to have silly contests with prizes. Have a “Silly Scrub Day” and award prizes for best handmade or purchased silly scrub. Have an “Office Triathlon/Olympics” with events such as Fastest Paper-Collator, Most paper balls tossed into recycle bin, and Most Pens in Mug. Remember to give prizes like small trophies, certificates, or even a parking spot.
- Feed Your Staff. If your budget allows it, the occasional pizza party goes a long way. If there’s a nice bakery nearby, consider ordering cupcakes and personally handing them out to your staff rather than leaving them in a common area. No need to wait for a birthday. Do it “just because.”
- Give recognition.Recognize employees for special accomplishments. Pay attention to employment anniversaries, new and re-certifications, and project completions. One way to do this: Give your employee(s) a giant card signed by the staff with little messages of congratulations.
- Skill Development:Let your employees know that you are invested in them and their future with the practice. Encourage them to take weekend or night classes and seminars, or a mentoring program. Make sure your employees are receiving training in their job duty areas. Learning new things and new ways are exciting!
For more ways to boost the performance of your medical practice, give us a call at 212-374-1425 to schedule a free consultation.